NEWS AND EVENTS
SECOND INTERNATIONAL WORKSHOP ON ADVANCED MOSQUITO ENTOMOLOGY
The Molecular Medicine Unit, Faculty of Medicine, University of Kelaniya, Ragama, Sri Lanka, is organizing Second International Workshop on Advanced Mosquito Entomology covering abroad spectrum of aspects in the field of medical entomology.
- To study entomological techniques for field collection and identification of different mosquito species
- To preserve mosquito specimens
- To identify and detect parasite/pathogens in vector species using conventional and molecular-based methods
- To organize a laboratory for molecular entomological assays
- To study maintenance of an insectary, mass rearing of mosquito vectors and sex separation methods
- To familiarize arthropod-containment facilities and study microinjection of mosquito vectors.
- To study effect of chemical, physical and biological properties in aquatic habitats on abundance of vector mosquitoes
Date and venue
To study effect of chemical, physical and biological properties in aquatic habitats on abundance of vector mosquitoes Date and venueThe workshop will be held for seven days (20-26th of November, 2017). The venue will be at the Molecular Medicine Unit, Faculty of Medicine, University of Kelaniya, Ragama, Sri Lanka.
The workshop is opened for both professionals/students/staff members in the governmental and non-governmental organizations/universities in Sri Lanka and overseas.
Highly qualified persons reputed at international and national levels. Two foreign experts will participate.
The workshop includes lectures, laboratory practical and field classes covering following topics:
- Entomological techniques for field collection and identification of different mosquito species-dengue, malaria, Japanese Encephalitis (JE) etc
- Preservation of larvae, pupae and body parts of adults mosquito specimens
- Identification and detection of parasite/pathogens in vector species using conventional and molecular-based methods (qualitative PCR and quantitative real time PCR)
- Organization of a laboratory for molecular entomological assays
- Maintenance of an insectary, mass rearing of mosquito vectors, different sex separation methods and arthropod-containment facilities
- Microinjection of mosquito vectors.
- Effect of chemical, physical and biological properties of aquatic habitats on abundance of vector mosquitoes.
The course fee for the 7 days workshop is SLR Rs. 30,000 per person for local candidates and US$ 600 per person for foreign candidates. The course fee covers the participation in the workshop, training materials and lunch/tea/coffee breaks only. Accommodation and air tickets will have to be borne by the participants.
Local participants - Payment should be made to in the form of a crossed cheque, made payable to “Faculty of Medicine, University of Kelaniya” and mailed to the course coordinator.
Overseas participants - Transferring funds to the Faculty of Medicine, University of Kelaniya. Information will be provided after selection.
Application form for the workshop is given below. Applicants can submit their completed application form to the Course Coordinator not later than 15th of November, 2017. Incomplete application forms will not be accepted. Selected applicants will be informed.
Dr. Menaka Hapugoda
Coordinator-Second International Workshop on Advanced Mosquito Entomology
Molecular Medicine Unit
Faculty of Medicine
University of Kelaniya
Ragama, Sri Lanka
Website - Molecular Medicine Unit
Tel: +94- 112960483, +94-714458606
Workshop on Advanced Medical Entomology
Highlights from the First International Workshop on Advanced Medical Entomology at the Molecular Medicine Unit, Faculty of Medicine, University of Kelaniya for 7 days (2-8th of May, 2016)