Inauguration and the workshop will be held at the Department of Biochemistry and Clinical Chemistry, Faculty of Medicine, University of Kelaniya.
- Setting up a cell culture laboratory
- Cell Culture Media and consumables
- Overview of primary and transformed Cell Cultures
- Cell culture initiation, maintenance, termination and preservation
- Fluorescence-activated cell sorting (FACS)
- Cell culture trouble shooting and remedial actions
- Introduction to basics in molecular biology; Concept of Central Dogma
- In-vitro amplification of genes: Introduction to PCR
- DNA extraction and designing PCR protocol for a selected gene
- Introduction to mutations and genotoxicities
- In-vitro assessment of Genotoxicity: Cytokinesis Blocked Micronuclei Assay, Chromosomal Aberrations assay
- Assessment of mutations.
- Initiation of primary human peripheral blood lymphocyte (PBLs) cell cultures.
- Assessment of genotoxicity: Cytokinesis Blocked Micronuclei Assay, Chromosomal Aberrations assay
- Initiation of human leukemic monocyte (THP1) cells.
- Assessment of viability: LDH leakage and DNA fragmentation assays.
- Lymphocyte DNA extraction, purification and quantification
- Semi-quantitative assessment of selected genes in lymphocytes.
Three practical sessions will be conducted as parallel sessions for three working groups each consists maximum of ten members.