The Faculty of Medicine, University of Kelaniya established an Ethics Review Committee (ERC) in 1995 to promote research ethics among the undergraduates, postgraduates, academics and the wider community of researchers.
Our primary objective is to protect human subjects from potential harm during their participation in a research project. We strive to achieve this by maintaining an effective and efficient review and monitoring processes keeping in line with the relevant national and international guidelines.
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITIES
- The functions of the ERC are:
- To provide independent, competent and timely review and monitoring of human research projects in respect of their ethical acceptability.
- To provide ethical oversight, monitoring and advice for human research projects.
- Human research projects may include, but are not limited to, research involving pharmaceuticals, medical devices, medical radiation and imaging, surgical procedures, biological samples, medical records, as well as social and psychological investigations.
- The ERC will review projects submitted to it in accordance with the guidelines of the Forum of Ethics Review Committees in Sri Lanka (FERCSL) and other relevant international guidelines and Sri Lankan legal requirements.
- The ERC will review research proposals submitted by students and staff of the University of Kelaniya. The ERC may also review research proposals submitted by other investigators.