Lung function tests, though important in the diagnosis, management, and follow-up of patients with respiratory disease and patients at risk for the development of pulmonary impairment. Is not routinely used due to lack of availability, expertise and cost.
The department of Physiology established the Lung Function Laboratory with a view to providing quality diagnostic services, improving teaching and enhancing research in the field of respiratory physiology.
The laboratory envisions
- improving teaching related to respiratory physiology and pulmonary function assessment.
- working towards increasing research output of the faculty related to respiratory physiology.
- applying for research and equipment grants and other institutional grants to obtain funding in the view of establishing a pulmonary function unit in the Faculty to provide quality state-of-the-art diagnostic facilities at an affordable cost to patients.
- enhancing research opportunities and quality of research related to respiratory physiology and assessment of pulmonary function.
- upon acquiring further equipment, providing opportunity for students to obtain hands-on experience in pulmonary function assessment techniques.
- establishing collaborations with other faculties and institutions with similar interests.
- working towards making the unit a self-funded unit for its maintenance and sustenance, thereby reducing the burden on the state.