At the end of the laboratory course conducted by Department of Parasitology, an undergraduate should have the following skills in relation to each of the listed areas:
1. Be able to use a light microscope to examine a stool smear or a stained blood film.
2. Give clear instructions to a patient on how to collect a stool sample for examination for parasites.
3. When given a stool sample, prepare smears in saline and iodine and examine them for parasites.
4. Safely obtain finger prick blood from a patient.
5. Examine specimen of helminthes or medically important arthropods using a hand held magnifying glass.