Vidyajyothi Prof. H.J. de Silva
MBBS, MD(C'bo), DPhil(Oxford), MRCP(UK), FRCP(Lond), FRCP(Edin), FCCP, FNAS(SL), FRACP (Hon), FRCP (Thailand), Hon. FCGP(SL), FCCP
Cadre Chair and Senior Professor
(on special leave as Director Postgraduate Institute of Medicine, University of Colombo, Sri Lanka)
||: Internal Medicine
||: +94 11 2953409 / 11 2961119 (Office),
+94 777 777 862(Residence)
Research Interests :
- Cirrhosis and portal hypertension
National and International Honours, Awards and Prizes
- Titular National Honour ‘Vidyajyothi’, conferred by H.E. The President of Sri Lanka “for outstanding scientific and technological achievements involving original research”, 2005.
- Committee of Vice-Chancellors’ and Directors’ Excellence Award for the Most Outstanding Researcher in Medical and Allied Sciences (inaugural award for lifetime achievement in research), Colombo, 2006.
- Hon. Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians – 2004
- Hon. Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians of Thailand – 2005
- Hon. Fellow of the College of General Practitioners of Sri Lanka – 2007
- Hon. Fellow of the Sri Lankan Society of Gastroenterology – 2012
- Presidential Awards for Scientific Publication: 1999, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007-2009, 2010-2012, 2013, 2014. National Research Council, Colombo.
- Kandy Society of Medicine Prize for Health Research 2007. October 2007.
- University of Bologna (900th anniversary): prize for the Best Research Paper, Bologna, Italy, 1989.
- Asia Pacific Association for the Study of the Liver: Distinguished Poster Award, Bangkok, 2011.
- United European Gastroenterology Week: Oral Free Paper Prize, October 2013, Berlin, Germany.
- Prizes for research papers, Sri Lanka Medical Association:
- M. Wijerama Prize: 1999, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2010, 2011, 2015
- E. Seneviratna Prize: 1993, 1996, 2005
- Daphne Attygalle Prize: 1992, 2011
- Sir Nicholas Attygalle Prize: 2002, 2014
- K. T. Fernando Prize: 1996, 2005, 2009
- Sir Frank Gunasekera Prize: 2013
- Wilson Peiris Prize: 2002
- Kumaradasa Rajasuriya Prize: 2000, 2004, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2015
- Special Prize in Cardiology: 2000
- Ten Outstanding Young Professionals Award for Academic Leadership, Colombo, 1997.
- de Silva HJ, Abeygunasekera A (Editors). Ceylon Medical Journal (ISSN 0009-0875). 1999 - 2014. Editor Emeritus (2014-).
- de Silva Janaka (Editor). Online Appendix. Kumar and Clark: Clinical Medicine. [This appendix provides supplementary information on diseases and problems that are prevalent in certain parts of the world. The material enlarges on what is in the print].
- 6th Edition. London: Elsevier, 2005.
- 7th Edition. London: Elsevier, 2009.
- 8th Edition. London: Elsevier, 2012.
- de Silva Janaka, Rajapakse Senaka (editorial contribution). Online Appendix. Kumar and Clark: Clinical Medicine. 9th Edition. London: Elsevier, 2017.
- Deputy Editor (2013-), Guest Associate Editor (2008-2013), PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases.
- de Silva HJ, Wijesekera CPB (Editors). Kandy Medical Journal (ISSN1021-2604). 1992 - 1997.
- Goonaratna C, de Silva HJ (Editors). Gastroenterology Update. Colombo: Gastroenterological and Digestive Endoscopy Society Sri Lanka, 1993. (ISBN 955-9265-00-8).
- Member, Editorial / International Advisory Boards of several journals and books.
- Grant Reviewing. Grant reviews for: National Research Council, National Science Foundation and Sri Lankan Universities, Wellcome Trust.
- Journal Reviewing. Multiple journals including Lancet, Public Library of Science, BioMed Central, BMJ, Quarterly Journal of Medicine, Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, Tropical Medicine and International Health, Toxicon, Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology.
| Research Publications :
|Chapters and Sections in Books and Manuals :
- de Silva HJ, Fonseka MMD, de Zoysa NS, Premawardena AP. Seroepidemiology of Hepatitis B and C in Sri Lanka. In: Sarin SK, Hess G (Eds). Transfusion Associated Hepatitis. New Delhi: CBS Publishers, 1998: 117-125.
- de Silva HJ. Side effects of gastrointestinal drugs. In: Aronson J (Ed).Side Effects of Drugs.
- Annual 22.Amsterdam: Elsevier, 1999: 389-398
- Annual 23.Amsterdam: Elsevier, 2000: 380-390
- Annual 24.Amsterdam: Elsevier, 2001: 401-410
- Annual 25.Amsterdam: Elsevier, 2002: 416-430
- Annual 26.Amsterdam: Elsevier, 2003: 382-392
- Annual 27.Amsterdam: Elsevier, 2004: 362-372
- de Silva HJ, Fonseka MMD. Seroepidemiology of Hepatitis C in SAARC countries. In: Sarin SK, Okuda K (Eds).Hepatitis B and C: from Carrier to Cancer. New Delhi: Harcourt (India) / Elsevier Science, 2002: 187-200.
- Goonaratna CG,de Silva HJ. How to write a paper in the Medical Sciences. In: Deen KI, Kumar RR (Eds).Successful Surgical Research: How to Plan, Perform and Publish.New Delhi: Churchill BI Publications, 2005: 76-85.
- de Silva Janaka. Poisoning. In: de Silva Janaka (Ed). Online Appendix.Kumar and Clark: Clinical Medicine.
- 6thEdition. London: Elsevier. 2005
- 7thEdition. London: Elsevier. 2009
- 8thEdition. London: Elsevier. 2012
- 9thEdition. London: Elsevier. 2017
|Peer Reviewed Publications :
|Orations and Invited Lectures :
- Sri Lanka Medical Association Oration. Epidemiology of snakebite: investigating the burden. Sri Lanka Medical Association (126 th anniversary). Colombo, July, 2013.
- K N Seneviratne Oration. Non - alcoholic fatty liver disease: the challenge before us. South Asian Association of Physiologists and Physiological Society of Sri La nka (Silver Jubilee) . Colombo, November, 2012.
- Sir Nicholas Attygalle Oration. Inflammatory Bowel Disease: the current statu s in Sri Lanka. Sri Lanka Medical Association (125 th anniversary). Colombo, September, 2012.
- The Kandy Society of Medicine Prize for Health Research Oration. Evolution of intestinal and liver diseases: the influence of wealth . Kandy Society of Medicine Foundation sessions. Kandy, October, 2007.
- The Kandy Society of Medicine Oration (Millenium Oration) . Use of antivenom serum in snake bite: towards evidence based practice . Kandy Society of Medicine. Kandy, February, 2000.
- Sir Marcus Fernando Oration. Suicide in Sri Lanka: Points to ponder. Sri Lanka Medical Association. Colombo, November, 1999.
- Prof. P.B. Fernando Oration. Cerebellar involvement in falciparum malaria - investigation of an epidemic. Ceylon College of Physicians (Silver Jubilee) . Colombo, September, 1992.
- Nihal Markus Oration. The treatment of ulcerative colitis - from cure to a new disease. Gastroenterological and Digestive Endoscopy Society Sri Lanka. Colombo, June, 1992.