- Take lead in the activities of the professional bodies related to the field of Forensic Medicine in uplifting the standards.
- Serve in the councils of College of Forensic Pathologists of Sri Lanka, Medico-Legal Society of Sri Lanka and Indo-Pacific association of Law, Medicine and Science by holding various posts and as members
- Develop guidelines
- Being resource persons in continuous professional development activities
2. Education and training of Judicial and Police officers.
- Department academics provide their services as resource persons in workshops and training courses for lawyers.
- Department academics provide their services as resource persons in workshops, training courses for police officers
3. Education of the public on legal medicine.
- The Department has developed trilingual posters on various aspects of medico-legal importance that are used at medical faculty exhibitions and other exhibitions. We provide these free-of charge for school exhibitions
- The department with the assistance of the audio-visual unit has developed two short films on post-mortem examination and exhumations for public display at exhibitions
- The members participate in medical education programmes in mass-media on request